Warm Guanaja Chocolate Coulant
By Chef Daniel Boulud
- In a medium bowl with a wooden spoon, stir the butter until completely smooth. Add the powdered sugar, combine
well and then stir in the cocoa powder and flour.
- Add the egg and stir to combine; finish by kneading the mixture with your hand.
- Shape the dough into a square, wrap with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until hardened (at least 3 hours).
- Place a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper on a flat work surface and dust with flour. Place dough on top, and
using a rolling pin, roll dough into a 1/4-cm-thick rectangular sheet (dusting with flour as necessary); freeze.
- Using a large knife, cut out (8) 15-cm diameter by 41/2-cm tall metal ring molds. Remove the dough rectangles from freezer, lightly dust one side with flour, and when they have warmed enough to bend, mold into the inside of the metal
rings (with floured side against the inside of the ring). Press the ends to seal, and trim off any overhanging dough from the open ends of the rings. Reserve chilled until ready to use.
- 8 servings
- 1 hr 30
Ingredients:2 ounces (1/2 stick) butter, softened (plus extra for brushing molds)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbs + 1 tsp cocoa powder
3/4 cup flour
1/2 whipped egg
- Place chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. In a small saucepot, heat the butter and pour over the chocolate; stir until
smooth and melted. With a rubber spatula, stir in the flour and sugar until well combined. Stir in the eggs one at a
time until well combined. Chill.
- In a small saucepot, bring the cream and brown sugar to a boil, then stir in vanilla seeds; set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat the sugar until melted into a dark caramel. Slowly add the cream mixture (be careful as it may spatter). Return to a boil and cook until the mixture reaches 220°F (dark brown color). Cool until ready to use.
- 8 servings
Ingredients:1/2 cup + 2 Tbs sugar
3 1/4 ounces (5 Tbs) butter
3 1/3 ounces Valrhona Guanaja (70% cocoa) chocolate
1/3 cup flour, sifted
For the sauce:1 cup + 4 Tbs sugar
2/3 cup cream
2 Tbs dark brown sugar
1 vanilla pod, scraped
- Transfer molten batter to a piping bag and fill molds halfway. Transfer caramel to a separate piping bag and pipe approximately 2 Tbs of caramel into the center of each ring mold.
- Finish by topping off with more molten batter. Bake for 13-15 minutes (until top of coulant is set).
Ingredients:8 (3.5-cm diameter by 1-cm thick discs) brownie or chocolate cake
1 pint milk (or substitute vanilla) sorbet or ice cream